20 February 2011

Creative endevours

Hi All

Back home for half term. Its' lovely to be back and have lie-ins! It's also nice not to have too much work so I have plenty of time for scrapping and other crafty projects.

Speaking of which I have a few to share with you. Yesterday the boys of the household went out to look at a few cars in the showrooms whilst me and my mum sat down to make a new skirt! A rather steryotypical afternoon then!

There is a lovely material shop near to school which I visit in term time and stock up on pretty material. My Mum is a genius at making up patterns and has taught me a lot. I wanted a skirt that was high waisted with a fixed waistband and buttons down the front. It was very simple to make and took only a couple of hours, the longest bit to do being the hem! (mum insists that I hand sew it!)

So..this is the finished result. I love how it turned out. The material is so pretty- almost a liberty print. It came with a contrasting panel so I used this to make the waistband and cover the buttons.


 My next project was to make a cowl. I have seen loads of these in the shops and after a bit of close examining I figured they wouldn't be very difficult to knit. I chose a lovely chunky wool and size 10 needles. It was so simple. I cast on around 110 stiches and then knitted in garter stitch till I was happy with the height. I joined the two ends by sewing and voila! A lovely warm cowl for those chilly days!

What have you all been up to other the weekend?
Thanks for stopping by

Loves xxx

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

That's a very pretty skirt you and your mum have made - I can imagine that pattern being used several more times between now and summer? I love how you have used buttons covered in the contrasting fabric - so classic and funky, both at the same time!
The cowl is wonderful - it looks so warm and I bet it cost a fraction of those ones I have seen in the shops!
Have a lovely half-term break; we have only a few plans for ours, other than to have a rest!

Sinead said...

Loving the skirt and cowl Abi, very creative! Enjoy your well-deserved break during the half-term...I wish we had one from college! Could do with a few lie-ins:)

scrappyjacky said...

You have been creative,Abi....love that pretty skirt.

Beverly said...

what an adorable skirt, love the contrasting fabric and the buttons just top it off! Have a great time at home.