2 September 2010

The place at the bottom of the garden

Happy Thursday

Thank you all for the lovely comments yesterday! I went out for a drive on my own for the first time! It was very scary and I talked to myself most of the trip but I love the Independence. I did think though that someone was going to come and stop me and ask why a child was driving a car! Lol!

Today was lovely and sunny. (I even put the shorts back on!) so I decided to give my camera a proper workout.

There is a place at the bottom of the garden which is like a dirt bowl but is surrounded by these huge trees. As a result, the light is beautiful, lovely and dark with flashes of bright sunlight. There is also a net fence at the back which gives it a bit more of a grundgy feel and is perfect for portraits.

So..I put my lovely camera on its gorilla pod, the best invention by the way. It looks crazy but it can bend around anything. I attached it to a tree for most of the pictures! Looks like this:

Anyway, I attached my camera to this and got snapping. I wanted just to capture some self portraits in the interesting light. (I hope that doesn't sound vain, my little brother was not too willing to be a model!)
It was quite tricky to get the effect I wanted but as the camera was on a tripod I could afford to bring the shutter speed right down.

I also experimented with an old book I picked up from school. It is really lovely and perfect for photo ops like this!

I wasn't really taking the photos for a specific purpose but one just looked right after editing and is now my blog header! I love the pictures of feet and legs and might make this a theme for my blog headers! What do you think?

So..that is what I spent my day doing. Taking pictures in this quiet place that almost feels magical! he he!
Thanks for stopping by

Loves xxxxx

PS I edit with picnik. You should check it out, it's great!

8 comments:

JO SOWERBY said...

good for you getting out alone for the first time. loving the new header, maybe you could alternate between heads and feet?
Jo xxx

humel said...

Ah, hence the new header - I see :-) Gosh, the light is gorgeous! I especially like how it lies on that book! xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the soft focus around the shot! Don't forget to drive on the wrong side of the road! (LOL- that's just a little American humor).
Rinda

debs14 said...

I have a gorillapod too, aren't they clever? Makes self portraits so easy, I'm not so good with the whole holding the camera in front of you, pushing the button and hoping for the best. I've wasted a LOT of pictures that way! I like the idea of the legs and feet headers, with approprate footwear for each month! Won't be long before the UGG boots are out.

scrappyjacky said...

Love the way the light plays in those photos...makes a great new header. Very brave to drive on your own so soon....on the right side of the road, of course!!

Jennifer Grace said...

Great photo, and I love the idea of having a header theme of legs and feet!

I love gorilla pods too, we keep buying them for people for presents, so most of the people we know own one too!

Well done for driving on your own straight away. I'm loving learning to drive, I can't wait until I get get out and about by myself. xx

Amy said...

Abi the photos are gorgeous ... but I'm giggling at the child driving comment - I thought exactly the same thing the first time I went out on a solo drive!
The header is great by the way :-)

Liberty :) said...

I love it Abi! I did the same thing when I passed my driving test! The quiet really freaked me out!!! What kind of camera do you have? I always feel I need a posh one to get these fab shots but I probably dont!!