16 November 2012

Frosty Festivities Blog Hop

Hello,

Today I am joining in with the lovely Jennifer on her "Frosty Festivities" blog hop. There are posts from each of us on the theme of winter and some lovely goodies to be won as well as lots of great wintery posts from Jennifer herself. So grab your mittens and a hot mug of tea and enjoy....



Winter.
Winter drew in early in our house. From around October half term it seemed to creep into the pattern of the days. In that glorious week off school we would get the supplies ready. Raisins and currents and oranges and that sticky bottle of brandy.

One day would be set aside. When the kitchen hummed with the promise of winter and the smells of christmas. Together we would push the apple through the mincer, adding the dried fruit and mushing it together with the alcohol. We would take it in turns to wrap our hands around the big brown ceramic bowl and give the mincemeat a stir and a wish.

From that moment the waiting began. The peeps in the cupboard to look for unfamiliar dark packages, the christmas cake snuggly wrapped in greased paper, waiting to be iced. Waiting, watching.

Then the clocks changed and we giggled to ourselves as we fell asleep that night. That this was "the good one" and we would get an extra hour in bed.

The days grew shorter and colder. Winter was moving swiftly in. Stripping the trees bare. Replacing them with glittering frost.

We would get in from school and the darkness would start to draw in. We would race around the house together trying to shut all the curtains before tea. Then the cozy evenings took over. Snuggled up by the spitting fire or around a board game.


Winter was always tinged with expectancy. The thrill of the morning light as I woke wondering...will it have snowed? The ring of the doorbell and the curious packages whisked out of sight. The christmas decorations pulled down from the cold loft.

Each day we would set out for school with another layer on. Another scarf dangling around our knees, mittens tied to elastic through the sleeves of our coats. On the weekends when the weather was fine we would go for walks as a family, thick socks stuffed into wellies. We would arrive home with red noses and rosy cheeks and huddle around the kitchen table, mugs of hot chocolate in our numb fingers.

Winter came early in our house and you know what, not a lot has changed!

Now to celebrate the coming of Winter, Jennifer is giving away £25 worth of scrapbooking goodies!


How to win you may ask? Simple. Carry on hopping around each blog and leave a comment on each. You should finish at Jennifer's blog. To win just let her know that you have hopped and commented your way around. All entries must be received by Monday 19th November 10.59 GMT.

So onwards friends through the snow to the lovely Daphne

40 comments:

K said...

A lovely winters tale Abi :)

humel said...

Oh Abi, what a beautiful piece of writing! You've really evoked the feelings of anticipation :)

Tracy said...

Oohh, what a lovely tale. We dont really have a winter here and I always feel like we miss out.

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

I'm hopping along. I have to say that Winter's my least favourite season but you make it sound so much nicer!!!

Jennifer Grace said...

Ooh, you make it sound so magical. I like the tradition of stirring the mix and making a wish, that's something I've never done and I think I should start the tradition up!

Thanks for joining in with the hop, it was wonderful reading your winter tales. x

Lesley G said...

I used to love it when the school bus got stuck at the top of the hill so we all piled off and walked home!!

Lou said...

a wonderful christmassy tale...lovely abi x

Julie Baswell said...

Abi, you sure have a way with words. If I wasn't in the spirit of winter before, I certainly am now. Thanks for the uplift.

furrypig said...

a story beautifully told Abi thanks for sharing it xxx

JO SOWERBY said...

I love the story and those photos are brilliant. Planning my Xmas watching at the mo as I love watching a select group of old movies and TV running up to the big day,
Jo xxx

alexa said...

A wonderfully atmospheric trip through winter months - and your photo is glorious too!

Sian said...

Oh, yes! We're quite happy for winter to come round here too - maybe I love autumn so much because I know winter is round the corner! A lovely post with beautiful photos - makes me want to go out and buy a red coat :)

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

What a lovely post Abi. We're always happy for Winter to come around too, although Autumn is my favourite.

Jane said...

I'm another fan of winter!

Kirsty.A said...

That's a lovely post - and goegrous photos to go with it. I love the idea of winter, but am often let down by the reality

Mary B said...

What a lovely graphic picture you have painted memories of childhood, and of my children's childhood too.

scrappyjacky said...

A lovely post,Abi....your winter memories are so atmospheric.

Teresa said...

What lovely memories - thank you for sharing

Lizzie said...

Hey, great story - very evocative! James was curious about your great "lights" photo, with the bokeh. I like the pic. of your family in the snow!
Hot chocolate is just right after a wintry walk...
Lovely Abi!

Jackie said...

Lovely story....smashing memories!!!

Alison said...

Mittens threaded through jackets..I remember it well!
Alison xx

Sarah said...

I love the way you write, Abi!! Treasured memories x

Sandie said...

Lovely memories and photos. Thank you for sharing Abi

KraftyKaren said...

Lovely memories - thanks for sharing.

Karen x

Julie H said...

such special memories!

scrappymo! said...

You are a great storyteller...those were lovely memories.

Margie said...

What a fun way to get us all excited for Christmas!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Such beautiful writing today, Abi. Thanks for sharing.
Rinda

Annie Claxton said...

Hi Abi - how lovely to read about your memories - I feel all warm and cosy now :o)

Karen said...

Beautiful photos, Abi! I wish I could gather up some enthusiasm about winter, but it lasts so long here, and I'm just not a fan of cold.

Anonymous said...

very atmospheric photos - I love winter

Missus Wookie said...

Oh what a nice collection of memories and photos. Hope you are staying warm up north!

Zahra said...

Beautiful photos, hope we have some decent snow this year!

Lisa-Jane said...

Wonderful words there Abi, sounds like you might enjoy Winter ;-)

Sally said...

What a lovely story. Makes the cold dark foggy nights seem almost magical!

dogmatix said...

Lovely story and the photos are beautiful. They really set the scene.

To boldly polish said...

Thank you for that beautiful description. I feel transported to my childhood winters...

Susan said...

Beautiful photo and lovely story...childhood winters were the best.

Candace said...

Beautiful snow picture

Miss Smith said...

I love the way you write. It's so evocative and I can feel my own winter memories through your stories. Thank you, it's lovely.