17 May 2013

Paper Feathers

Last weekend Jennifer ran one of her fantastic blog events. She set several challenges and one of them was to be inspired to be as "free as a bird". To use bird elements and to try things outside of your comfort zone.

Here is what I created....







The feathers were so easy to draw. I just searched for drawings of feathers on the web and combined several styles, smudging and changing pens when it felt right.
I also found that the more I cut into the feathers the more realistic they looked.

I have drawn a lot in the past but hadn't for quite a while so it was a bit out of my comfort zone. It is also ironic that I absolutely hate birds so to draw feathers was interesting!
I think these would add lovely texture to a scrapbook page or as a detail on a card.

Thank you for a fun challenge Jennifer.

8 comments:

alexa said...

These look wonderful! Very nicely done, and how courageous to try something connected to something you really don't like ... They are so effective with those curled edges.

Jennifer Grace said...

Love these Abi! They are so pretty, I would totally add them to some projects - I especially like the addition of gold. I'm going to try these out for myself!

Thanks so much for entering my challenge! x

Sarah said...

Those feathers are so pretty. Love that something so simple can become so beautiful when cut, curled and combined with a quote and a tag.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I saw the feathers on instagram, but I love, love, love the tag!
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

So funny - I totally hate birds too, but I am really loving birdy-embellishments these days. And feathers? Oh my gosh I love them, and yours are fantastic! They are awesome on that tag too.

Anonymous said...

They came out great Abi!

Karen said...

These are wonderful! I could use them for a card challenge this week! :-)

Mary B said...

they are great and I love the caption try hard to stop pretending you are a Red Indian