23 August 2013

Holiday stories- we take selfies

Welcome back to another holiday story.
This one is a little different.

Wherever we went on holiday I was sure to have both my big SLR and my iphone with me. I liked the fact that I had the choice of what camera to take photos with.

A lot of the time when we visited a location, the boy and I would go exploring one way and his parents the other. We would then meet up for a coffee and an icecream in an hour or so. It was sweet of them to give us the time together and it gave the boy and I a lot of time to have long talks about the future, about hopes, about uni and often about what was for lunch!

The only downside to this plan was that we were left alone with two cameras and no one to take photos of us together. I don't think the boy was overly concerned about this (seeing as he is super keen about cameras anyway) but you know me. I wanted pictures of the two of us on holiday. At the very least for project life.

So, much to the boys horror, the iphone was brought out and the joys of the front facing camera were put into play.
I like the idea that you can see the photo you are taking but it is so hard when the two of you are very different heights. The boy would squat, I would stand on tiptoes and we would both get in the frame, providing my arms were feeling long enough that day to hold the camera far enough out in front.

The result is a handful of funny spontaneous pictures or "selfies" if you will.
Towards the end of the holiday the boy became used to me whipping the phone out and soon pulled silly faces.
I'm sure in a few years I will find these photos hilarious but I want to remember that right now in 2013, we all loved the front camera on the phone and the selfie was definitely fun!

Do you take "selfies"?

11 comments:

Sian said...

Aw! You've got me wishing we had been able to take pictures like that all those years ago.

My iphone is an older one which doesn't flip round, but we got an ipad as an anniversary present from the whole family and I can take them with it, so maybe I'll be popping up a bit more often

Karen said...

No, I don't, and I should. I just uploaded all the photos from Chicago and there's not a single one of me. I'm usually good about handing the camera over, but this was a different kind of trip and I just didn't. Bummer! Your's are fabulous and I love the collage!

scrappyjacky said...

Very,very rarely!!! Love yours.

debs14 said...

My daughter and son are 'selfie' experts, when I try to do it you always see a large expanse of arm in the foreground. But they are great to have as momentos for when you don't have a self timer or other person to take the photo. Yours are excellent and I bet deep down The Boy enjoys taking them too!

Sinead said...

I do take selfies sometimes but my phone doesn't have a front camera either (there's another reason I should get a iPhone - I wish!) so it makes it a little more awkward! I love these pictures of you and the boy, they are so cute and will be really lovely to look back on :) Especially the silly face ones!! x

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

LOVE your selfies, and especially that fun collage of them together like that! I do take selfies, but not as often as Carrie does. And she usually has to take one of the two of us whenever we are together. :o)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Hilarious! I love the photo booth feel of these.
Rinda

boysmum2 said...

how cute and all we had was photo booths!

Anonymous said...

Cute selfies :)
I almost never take selfies and when someone tries to take a photo of me, I usually stick my tongue out or make a silly face as I hate being photographed. sometimes, I think my kdis will probably find it sad that I'm not on more photos, but I just can't bring myself to take selfies or ask them to take photos.

alexa said...

Thar's a great clutch of photos, and yes, i bet you will be glad to have them in years to come. Perhaps you could male a montage like this once a year for every year? I don't take many, of even any selfies ...

Anonymous said...

I'm not good at all taking them. They always seem weird looking when I take them. Guess I just need more practice and having a blackberry doesn't help. Guess what I'll be getting when the contract runs out?