19 August 2013

The internet is magical

On Wednesday I met up with a friend in London. 
She was sweet and kind. We drank tea in a cafe just outside covent garden market. 
I met her sister who was equally as lovely and the three of us just couldn't stop talking. 
I felt like I had known her for years. There really wasn't an awkward moment. 


Sinead is a long time blog friend. We struck up conversation I think about a year ago after she left me several comments on posts. 
We found that we were pretty much the same age, she was in the teaching profession, she scrapbooked and was playing around with a new SLR. 
Soon the emails were flying as we shared our daily lives, me at uni and her with her sweet little class in Ireland. 
We joked many a time about how fun it would be to have a proper cup of tea together one day. 

This summer Sinead announced that she was travelling over to London for a long weekend. 
Our chance to meet had finally come. I was so excited and nervous on that train ride into the capital. 
Everything and anything was flying through my head from "what if we really don't get on" to "what if we can't find each other, I mean London is a big place!" 
I had no need to worry at all. We chattered away like old friends with so much in common. 
All too soon I had to catch my train home and we left with promises to see each other soon and big hugs. 


I know the internet can sometimes be a scary and dangerous place but often it is magical and exciting and brings us together in ways that just wouldn't have happened twenty years ago.
I was blessed to have found so many readers and now friends through the internet. 
Here's to more blog friend meet ups and thank you Sinead for such a wonderful day. 

12 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I saw this on Sinead's blog last week and just loved it, Abi. Having met a few blog friends myself, I know that nervous feeling at first. And I also know the lovely feeling that follows when you feel like you've already "known" each other forever and there's no awkwardness. How awesome that you two had an opportunity to meet in person!!! <3

alexa said...

Lovely and heart warming - and your delight in the new friendship shines through ...

Sian said...

I love this! The internet can be a wonderfully good thing.

And I hope you get to meet up again soon.

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely post,Abi. Having met up with some blog friends....I know what a wonderful experience it is....I'm glad you had such a great day.

Unknown said...

Lovely story. I like your positive about the internet. Friendships, I think, are magic at work, who can explain when two people connect, meet and mesh.

Barbara Eads said...

I know what you mean. I, too, feel like I've made many friends via the internet. My family loves to tease me when I refer to my friends from the UK. One of these days, I hope to meet up with some of you too!

debs14 said...

How lovely that you got to meet up. The Internet makes the world a smaller place, and I love how we get to know people who we would never have met in any other circumstance.

Sinead said...

I smiled all through reading this post! Thanks again Abi, meeting up was the best! xxx

Karen said...

Agreed! I've had lovely encounters with several people I've "met" through the internet, and one of my best friends found her "significant other" through a dating site. They've been together for years now. I've always found that amazing.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love this post Abi (and love that I have met four other commenters IRL: Sian, Deb, Jacky and Karen).
And all were just as wonderful in real life as you would imagine!
I'm smiling now just thinking about those good times!
Rinda

Miss Smith said...

This is so lovely - I'm really glad it worked out! It's always amazing to meet fellow bloggers :D

And London's pretty cool too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy it all went well. It's always a little worrying meeting someone for the very first time. Your right - the internet is magical.