31 August 2013

Paper Feather Garland

So I feel like I am sort of cheating putting this here as a DIY.
I posted this feather garland on instagram and there was a lot of good feedback so I thought I would share how I made it.

The reason I feel like I am cheating is that the feather template isn't mine. 
I used the template and tutorial for making the individual feathers from this post by Lia Griffith.

I cut mine out of plain white card and old book paper glued to card to give it a bit of extra rigidity.
I then gathered all the feathers I had created and put them together in groups of three. No rhyme or reason here. I just layered them up in ways that made me happy.


I added a dab of glue to the end of each to secure them together.
Once I had enough groups of three I tied them with a knot onto a piece of garden twine.

The feather template is beautifully designed so there is enough of a "tail" on the feathers to tie them onto the twine without glue.

I think these would look so lovely at a party strung up with fairy lights.
Whimsical and light they flutter in my room above my desk. Another garland to add to the collection.


4 comments:

Miss Smith said...

I don't think it's cheating at all as you've put your own spin on it and it seems very you. Plus it's beautiful and I always love to see the pretty things people have made :D

Sandra said...

I have to agree with Miss Smith, you've made it your own, and made it just beautifully

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Abi. :o) I'm off to grab the template - I just love the look of your garland.

Beverly said...

Loved on it IG and am glad you shared how you did it here :)