24 February 2011

DIY notebook

Hi all.

Hope you are all having a lovely week. I want to share a little make with you today. Three of my friends are getting confirmed at school next half of term. I wanted to make them each something little just to celebrate the day.

This is a really simple style of notebook. The book is based on plain pieces of cardstock and small envelopes. The envelopes were 3.5x6 inches so I cut out four pieces of cardstock that size with one side scalloped to add a pretty touch.

I then alternated the book with an envelope and a piece of cardstock. The front covers were made with card slightly larger than the pages. I covered these in my favourite patterned papers and a strip of contrasting paper on the left. I also added the recipients initials.

I punched four holes in every page and front cover, then using a simple lacing technique with handmade braid, I laced the books. (i'm sure there is a more effective binding technique, but this worked just fine for me!!)

The next step was the best bit-filling the pages. As it was a book to celebrate a confirmation, I pasted Bible verses on the blank sides of each piece of cardstock, leaving the patterned side plain. Each envelope was labeled and filled with something.

This is such an easy style of book to make and looks lovely and neat! I am tempted to make others and fill them with photos and memorabilia!

What have you been up to recently?

Thanks for stopping by

Abi xxxx

2 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely idea,Abi....I'm sure they will treasure them.

Lizzie said...

Those are great little books, Abi and I love your clever binding. There are so many binding styles out there - if you really want to know about some of those, I could recommend a couple of nice books to get you started!
Your friends will be so pleased with their gifts and I agree that they would be such useful little books to have for yourself!