5 January 2014

Weaving

A new adventure.
Playing around with a rigid heddle loom.


I am so excited by the potential of this new toy.
The setting up is quite lengthy but the actual weaving is relatively simple.


You tube videos were invaluable for my first time weaving. There really is a whole new world of weavers out there and a whole dictionary of weaving terms.



It's a relaxing craft this weaving process. From warping the loom to the weaving process. There is a lot of repetition involved, a lot of feeding soft wool back and forth and watching something transform in front of you.


In many ways it is like knitting but on a much larger scale and with much quicker results. I like that the results can be unexpected. That you are constantly combining colours to create something new, as the warp and the weft come together.


I am excited to try out new things with this craft. New colour combinations and new patterns. There is a lot to learn and a lot of work to do to try and correct all my wonky edges but there are oh so many possibilities.


Have you tried a new craft recently?

8 comments:

Sian said...

Wow, how lovely is that?

The quilting was new for me and I'm keen to do more of that. And I'm still talking about learning to crochet

debs14 said...

Abi that is wonderful! Wherever did you find a loom? There is no end to your talents!

Lou said...

oooh how lovely. I would one day like to try and make a quilt x

Sandra said...

Oh my gosh, I'm in awe. You made this??? .... So impressed.

Last year I did a crochet class and for a little while it clicked, then life got in the way and I didn't practice, but I'm determined this year to crack it and actually make something

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

SOOO cool, Abi! I love the color and the texture of your woven piece, and I think it's great that you were able to learn a new craft over your holiday break!

I don't have anything "new" on my list of things to do this year, but I do want to improve upon some that I learned in 2013 - knitting is one of them. :o)

Alison said...

I love what you made!......the quilting is new for me and I'm hoping to get better at it this year!
Alison xx

alexa said...

I adored weaving when I was little -.we used to make looms from cardboard and cut a spiky row,of triangles either end to hold the warp threads. I have often thought I'd love to learn to do it properly - when I retire, perhaps, I am going to be enjoying your progress :).

Lizzie said...

I had a toy loom when I was little. It was lovely & I still have a covered coat-hanger I did (one of the wood ones with just the long bar on a hook).
But I'm really impressed with your scarf - is that a first effort, cos its fab?
I've been eyeing up little looms for a while - hadn't come across kronski before, they look v good for the price. I may just have to join you some time (like I'm not busy already hehehe!)
Happy weaving, Abi!