16 April 2014

In the antique shop

Near our house is a gravelled drive with a battered black and white sign outside.
"antiques" it optimistically cries.
We were on a walk and decided to stop by. It was in turn the most magical place and the most bizarre.


Three little sheds knocked together and a huge stretch of gravelled drive.
The drive was covered in aisles of garden pots, garden furniture, ornaments and fountains. There was a stone roman soldier, a box of marbles, old crates and flowers.



Inside the little sheds was a treasure trove of 'stuff'. Chairs and tables were piled on top of one another to the ceiling. Cabinets were in corners, ornaments balanced precariously on top.
There were telescopes and scales and books under the tables. Old road signs and lamps and statues in a corner.


We walked between the aisles in this antique maze, calling to one another when we found something interesting or funny or exciting.
Little hand-written labels were tied to each item detailing its price.


I could have spent hours in there. Sifting through the junk to get to the gems.
We found a few and when we enquired of the owner and vaguely described one bench in about the thirty in there, he knew exactly which one were talking about.
It was fantastic. My dad and I were in heaven, my mum not so much!


It was a fun little quirky place to find and I am so glad I had my camera on me to document it.

Do you like rummaging through old furniture, thrift shops and antiques or are you like my mum and think that most of it is junk!?

16 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I absolutely love rummaging through places like this....and have found some real treasures over the years....even if most of it is junk....it's fascinating junk!!
And you know what they say....one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Missus Wookie said...

I'm always hopeful that such places will be full of treasure - I like looking through and imagining what a bit of tlc can do to a piece.

Mel said...

I love rummaging through junk shops and feel there are always lots of treasures to be found!

Alison said...

Sorry, but I'm with your mum on this one,
Alison xx

Sian said...

It's treasure. Definitely treasure. We found a red bentwood chair exactly like the ones in the picture in a house we bought once, and we painted it pink and TSO sits at it every day at her desk. Not junk!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oooooh - Carrie and I LOVE places like that! I'm so glad you had your camera with you, Abi. You got some really cool shots.

Karen said...

I love going through places like this, but the challenge is just to take photos, and not to bring anything else home!

Julia said...

What a find and what a photographers dream! I would definitely have stopped to mooch but with places like this if you take one piece home it never looks as good as it did amongst everything else!!

debs14 said...

Just tell me, did your mum let your dad buy that wonderful ship's wheel? And if so, where has he kept it?!
I think that this post is definitely proof in the saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Looks like the perfect place for a good rummage! Happy Easter to you and yours Abi x

Anonymous said...

I'd love to roam through places like that but I get the comment - "We don't need anymore "stuff"" (:

Barbara Eads said...

That shop looks amazing!! I love antiquing, but have to be really careful---I really don't need any more "stuff!" Sometimes I just can't resist.

alexa said...

Your photos are so fantastic you ought to offer to do them a flyer and a brochure, Abi - I just love places like this :).

alexa said...

Your photos are so fantastic you ought to offer to do them a flyer and a brochure, Abi - I just love places like this :).

alexa said...

Your photos are so fantastic you ought to offer to do them a flyer and a brochure, Abi - I just love places like this :).

Susanne said...

Love your snaps - wish I was there too.