27 April 2014

Let's sit and have a cup of tea

Hello, hello, come in out of the fine mist of drizzle and I'll pop the kettle on.


If you were meeting me now, I would usher you into our lounge, take your coat and pass you the plate of cookies. We had a pudding party last night for my housemates birthday and there are plenty of sweet treats left.

If I was meeting with you now I would tell you that the new term has started. The last one of this academic year. The months have simply flown haven't they! You would probably bring up the dreaded topic of exams and I would tell you slightly embarrassed that I don't mind exams. In a way I quite like the order and structure that revision can bring and once an exam is over, that's it, no point in worrying about it! Thankfully with university exams they are marked quite quickly so no anxious waiting in the middle of August.

Oh look, the tea is nearly brewed, can I pour you a cup? As I settled myself on the sofa again I would tell you about the crafty projects I have been working on. There are two quilts in the making, one for me and one for my best friend. They are very different but I love them both. It is also a joy to have sat with my friend and cut out the pieces together. I am so excited to see it growing! Do you quilt I would ask? If you are involved in the friendship quilt I would ask you how you are getting on with that? I love the challenge it brings me each month. It's fun to think of the recipient and make something specifically for them. It's also making me try out new patterns. A block only 6 inches square is an ideal size to try new things.


As we helped ourselves to more cake I would ask you about your Easter. Did you manage to take a holiday? We had all the family at home which was lovely. We also managed to do several long walks which are just perfect in the spring weather we have been having. Leaning closer I would smile and tell you that I even got a few days working with the National Trust again. It is such a fun organisation to volunteer with and there are always exciting things happening in the office. Who wouldn't want to wear a top hat to work?


Your cup is empty, let me refill it. I would ask you about your blog and about the crafts you are involved in. I'm sure you would bring me photos of what you got up to over Easter and we would ooh and ahh over them. It's nice to sit with someone who just gets that some things have to be photographed and documented! I would burst out laughing at this thought and show you the latest 'me-zie' from the holidays. Yes, you and I know them as 'selfies' but my Granny is still determined that 'me-zie' is their proper name. Mum and Dad joined me in their first selfie. Mass hilarity was caused by this! It is fun to wonder whether there will be things my children will find amusing about my lack of technical ability!


As usual we have lost track of time chatting away. As I always say it is so good to see you.
I would walk with you the door, hugging you tightly, telling you to come again soon and thanking you for taking the time out of your day to see me. My hand carries on waving as you walk down the street and around the corner...

If you were having tea with me today, what would you tell me?

If you would like to write a "tea" post please add it to the linky at the bottom so we can all sit and share with you! The linky will be open for a week so you have plenty of time! 

19 comments:

Miss Smith said...

Lovely to take tea and catch up with you again! Those patchwork pieces look beautiful, and I'm glad you had a good tiem with your family over Easter!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Love the top hat shot! Those fabrics look gorgeous together, it's going to be a lovely quilt. Thanks for having us all over for a cuppa. I've enjoyed the catch up :o)

scrappyjacky said...

I'd definately be admiring that quilt....it's going to be gorgeous. I've been working on some quilt squares myself this week.

Ruth said...

Two things: love the selfie with your parents and is your brother really a giant?!

Abi said...

Ha ha Ruth! no, he was standing on one of those ploughed tracks although he is quite a bit taller than me already!

my cup of tea said...

Hi Abi! Love your Sunday Tea and I am so happy to be part of it! Loved your comments, especially the one about 'pretty tea' that is so sweet!
The blocks you are working on are such beautiful colors! I would love to be involved in the friendship quilt! How fun!
donna

Prairie Jill said...

Oh, thank you for another lovely get-together! It's always so nice to hear your news. Your quilts are going to be beautiful! I loved seeing all the photos of your family, and of course, of your top hat! Very chic!!

Take care and I'll see you again next month!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Such a wonderful round-up today. I love the photos. Thanks for hosting this get together.
Rinda

Sian said...

Your quilts are going to be beautiful

I know what you mean about the exams - once you get started there is a nice rhythm to them. I'll finish up my cup and wish you all the best with them, then..

Susanne said...

Oh, those quilt pieces are so pretty and spring-like, nice to see on a rainy day like we've having. That's a sweet three-zie of you and your parents - nice! Well I'd better scoot, nice chatting.

Amy said...

Those quilt squares are so pretty Abi - love the shots with your parents and your brother ... he's a tall one then?!

Jane said...

The photos are lovely, I hope the exams go well x

Karen said...

I can see the family resemblance in those wonderful smiles! It's always nice to catch up with you.

Missus Wookie said...

Glad you had fun at home over Easter. Good luck with the exams - Princess is also busy working and revising. Always nice to have a deadline to work towards and then know it is done.

alexa said...

Gosh, don't you three look alike? Your quilts are very pretty ... And wishing all the best for your exams, though I am having a hard job believing it can possibly be that time already - it seems no time since you were setting off in the Autumn!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh I love the look of your quilt blocks, Abi! Such fun and happy colors. The selfie of you and your parents is just adorable! Thanks for the tea and the lovely catch-up! xo

Haddock said...

Love that blue tea pot.

Alison said...

love the quilt squares...and the 'me-zie' made me laugh!
Alison xx

Beverly said...

Love the red, white and blue and reminds me how close our patriotic season is...Memorial Day and Independence Day. I know the quilts will be beautiful, alas, you know I am a beginner. I have improved a tad since your square ;)